11.19.2011

Quirófano

On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to shadow a surgeon for the day and I took it. I was placed with surgeon Javier De la Fuente Ortiz de Zarate, who works in Donostia- a town about an hour and ten minutes away from Sopelana. My day started bright and early at 5 AM and I didn't get home until around 6:30 PM. Within that time-span, 9 of those hours were spent in the surgery center. I got to dress up in the scrubs, socks, shoes, masks, and hair nets that the doctors and nurses wore and witness the surgeries of a shoulder, elbow, hand, and knee. My initial reaction of the operating rooms was that they resembled old mental asylums I have seen in movies and that freaked me out quite a bit. In the first surgery, about five minutes after cut-time, my vision started blurring and I began to feel dizzy, got really hot, and turned pale. Needless to say I was carried out of the room. After a few minutes of laying down and drinking some water I decided I was ready to go back in so I did and in the subsequent surgeries I was completely fine. It was really interesting to watch but I'm not sure I could picture myself doing that for the rest of my life..